Samastipur: Haji Samsuddin Ilyas Khan founded the town of Samastipur.
An important pilgrimage centre, this Lord Shiva shrine draws worshippers throughout the year. This temple, situated about 16 km east of Singhia and 22 km north east of Hasanpur Road railway station on the Samastipur-Khagaria branch line of East Central Railway, traces its origin to epics.
Situated on the banks of river Ganga, Vidyapatipur district takes its name from the legendary poet Vidyapati. It is believed to be the place where the renowned poet, in search of Lord Shiva, breathed his last.
Legend has it that Lord Shiva was associated with Vidyapati in the guise of his servant, Ugna. Vidyapati wanted to breathe his last on the bank of Ganga river. On turning old, he was travelling to the Ganga but could not reach his destination due to falling health. The revered river changed its course to reach him.
Pusa, near Samastipur, is famous across the world as Rajendra Agriculture University is situated here. ‘Pusa’ is named after Henry Phipps of the USA who donated generously to help establish this agricultural research institute.
A 20 feet high mound spread over a large area here is believed to be the birthplace of Udayanacharya, a great philosopher of ancient times who is also supposed to be an incarnation of Lord Vishnu. Extensive excavations at this village have revealed antiques dating as early as 2nd century BCE and afterward from 6th century CE to post-1200 CE.
The village, situated about 35 km south west of Laheriasarai in Darbhanga district, contains an old Shiva temple that was built in 1844. A fair is held here every year on the eve of Ramnavami.
Situated 14 km from Hasanpur block near Dudhpura, Mangalgarh is believed to contain the remains of King Mangal Deo who played host to Lord Buddha when he came to deliver sermons at Dudhpura. Dudhpura, incidentally, is the name of ancient Budhpura, named after Lord Buddha.