Leading hotelier S P Sinha no more


Satyadev Prakash Sinha

A tribute

Shri Satyadev Prakash Sinha (SP or Bacchaa to many) led a many-splendored life. Born in Rangoon (now Yangon), Burma (Myanmar) on August 26, 1941, where his grandfather Babu Hariji had set up Asia’s first sugar factory with the help of 10,000 people he had taken with him to Zyawadi (Myanmar), he was the fifth child among seven, of the Late Shri CP Sinha (Lal Babu) and Late Smt. Shivmadhavi Devi.

As a child, he was precocious, determined and compassionate. Finishing his matriculation at age 14, he went for further schooling to England and returned several years later, after graduating from the London School of Economics, to fulfil his childhood dreams of expanding and building upon the business foundations laid by his grandfather and father. Having lost the latter in an accident in 1966, SP Sinha assumed charge at the helm of affairs at age 25.

With his extraordinary ability, he built many businesses, rising to become one of the top industrialists of Bihar, with companies like Kalyanpur Cements, Jenson and Nicholson Paints, Bihar Hotels, and several others under his wings. He also initiated productive collaborations with Schenk and Holtec.

In his personal and family life SP was a pillar of strength to many. Under his benign nurturance his family, including the larger family and a large circle of friends grew, learned and proved their worth. He was sharp and precise in his observations, analysis and understanding. His brand of humour and his capacity to laugh at himself was all his own. A doting son, husband, brother, father and grandfather, he was friendly with everybody, ever ready to quietly help out anyone in need. He loved and respected even those who waited on him and served him. Among many others, he is survived by his wife, his three sons and their families, including six grandchildren.

SP was passionate about the jungle and wildlife. It was en route to Tadoba Forest Reserve near Nagpur, where he had got a resort built, that he breathed his last and quietly left his body on April 11, 1914. May his soul rest in peace.